Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Maggie Goes to School

Maggie's ready for her first day of school!

Maggie went to puppy school on Monday - She was so cute! She was clearly out-numbered by the bigger puppies but she was such a trooper!  She wasn’t quite sure what to think right away but soon as she got over her shyness she was playing with the “big guys”.
When we first got there, I was surprised to see the set-up they had.  It looked like a dog-show routine with ramps, jumps, tunnels, and even a Little Tykes slide. Maggie was being a chicken little at first.  The big puppies showed her how it was done and she eventually caught on to a few things.  During class, our instructor (Tiana) explained how she wanted each puppy to go through every obstacle.  They want the puppies to learn depth perception, different textures, and learn to balance on unsteady surfaces.
Maggie’s latest “trick” is learning how to sit.  The hardest part we struggle with is her excitement for the treat.  She’ll get so excited she’ll sit and jump at the same time.  I’m trying to get her to sit and keep her paws down… we’ll get there!  She’s also doing well with learning how to sit before she goes outside to potty so she doesn’t bolt outside the door (This was part of our homework for the next 2 weeks!)
The highlight of my night was when Maggie fell asleep during lecture.  Good thing there is no doggie detention for sleeping in class!  She did very well… I guess the important part was that I was listening!  My jaw dropped when Tiana said for the 1st year pets should not be allowed on furniture.  Her reasoning makes complete sense…. but a WHOLE year!!!?? This will be difficult! 

We are working on her not chewing on things she shouldn't... however, when I tell her "No" she gives me this face:


Do you see why I'm such a softy!!?  I'm staying strong, my friends! I'm staying strong! When she starts chewing on things she isn't supposed to we have been giving her one of her chew toys so she knows what things are hers and "ok" to chew on.

Tiana also talked about the importance of crate training (which is what we are doing with Maggie).  We are experimenting with where to put her kennel.  She gets so excited when she sees you that she leaks a little "hello" before I can get her outside.  Tiana suggested not talking to her and getting her excited before she gets outside.  I can’t wait to watch Maggie progress and learn new tricks, and to show Joe that puppy school is worth it (I'm determined to turn this puppy school non-believer into a believer!)  I’ll try to take some pictures during the next class of her working on the equipment!  See you all again soon!
*In my last post, I talked about how our weekend was going to be busy with Maggie and my 4-year old little buddy I was babysitting.  Our adventures need a whole post itself so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment