Saturday, July 2, 2011

How Maggie Has Changed My Life

(Catching up on a few blogs tonight!!)
I never realized how much I up and leave until I couldn’t do it anymore.  There would be so many times I would run errands before heading in to work.  But now I have Maggie…. And I have to be mindful of how long she is in her kennel.  I used to be able to stay at the gym for as long as I wanted to.  But, once again, I have Maggie … And I don’t have the heart to put her in her kennel for 2 hours in the morning when I know she’s going to be in there while I’m at work.  My life doesn’t just revolve around myself and my needs anymore… I have a puppy to take care of.  Miss Independent (aka yours truly) can't be so independent anymore!
It is a challenge and a half to coordinate schedules between Joe and I.  When he is gone on trips, I need to make sure we have someone to watch Maggie and let her out about half way through my shift.  We try to spread out our resources and switch between Joe’s parents and mine.  Our friends have also offered their help.  It will be interesting when I start my 12-hour weekend night shifts next weekend… I’m not sure what we are going to do there.  I’m obviously going to have to get sleep during the day, which will be confusing for Maggie.  (And I don’t do well on little-to-no sleep…)

Work has been short-staffed lately so I have been picking up extra shifts.  Work knew I wouldn't be able to pick up extra shifts as long as my husband was home because we wanted to spend time together.  Now I can only pick up extra shifts IF Joe is home so she can watch her.  It's been hard since I've been sacrificing spending time with Joe, but who couldn't use the extra income in today's economy!

Today we went to the beach and of course it was too hot for her… so once again we needed to find someone to puppy-sit her.  I think we will be having to do the same for the fireworks on the 4th… It will be interesting to see if she is a chicken little when it comes to fireworks!
I never thought I would monitor a dog’s butt so much in one day!! (Sorry, too much detail!?)  I constantly have my little shadow by my side so I can make sure she is going outside to poop and pee.  She’s getting the hang of it… She already knows to go downstairs by the door to go outside.  I’m one proud Momma!

Sleeping in is SO last season!  Maggie is like clockwork and wakes up every morning in the 6am hour to go poop and pee.  It doesn't matter what time she went to bed.... she'll still wake up at 6am! Sometimes she'll let me go back to bed.  Other times I camp out on the living room floor so she can play and I can rest!
My husband and I have our differences with raising Maggie.  I’m so glad we got a dog before having a baby… and that we are figuring out these differences now before we have another person to think about.  I think he sometimes gets frustrated when he realizes what I’m telling him might actually be the right thing to do… he never likes admitting when he is wrong and I am right!
I thought I was mentally prepared to have a puppy… But I don’t think it quite sets in how much work it actually is to raise a puppy until you have one.  However, I wouldn’t change it for the world.  She has brought so much joy to our lives and our families.  I love seeing how people “ooh” and “awe” over her.  I love when you get home to see her, her little butt wiggles and she squeals with excitement to see you.  I love watching her sleep... especially when she's dreaming and her tail starts wagging.  Wonder what she's dreaming about!?  No matter what, she gives you endless love.  Having a puppy is A LOT of work… but the memories are priceless.
My forever fur-ball buddy :-)
She's my little buddy - that's for sure.  I've been calling her "buddy" a lot lately... I hope she doesn't think that's her new name! 

Happy 4th of July to everyone and your little furry friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment