Thursday, July 14, 2011

Maggie's Busy Week

Maggie went to the vet again…. She weighs 6lbs now!  She has a little “junk in her trunk” so we were cutting her food back from 1 cup/day to ¾ cup/day.   She got her first vaccine with me being there… It was harder on me than Maggie!  Dr. Cindy and Nancy were awesome at distracting her!  We are so lucky to have such an awesome puppy!  The only minor problem we have been having with her is when she gets excited and pees her “hello” to people.  We have been working hard on not getting excited when we see her and telling others to do the same.  It is so hard to ignore the little rascal when I first get home, but I’ve been strong and we’ve already seen improvements!! Way to go Magg-ster!

Getting weighed at River Valley
Puppy school on Monday was full of information once again!  (If anyone is thinking of putting their puppy through school, Tiana is AWESOME.)  Maggie did a lot better on her obstacle course this week.  She rocked her “sits” and is slowly but surely understanding “lay down”.  (I’ll sit on the ground with my legs out.  She’ll jump over my legs and then sit down every time.  That’s my spunky little show-off!)  We also talked about food bowl safety and barking.
The last half of puppy class was spent letting the puppies all play together.  Since there is only one other small dog in the class, Maggie and the other little puppy were separated in their own pen while the big pups ran around.  It was torture for Maggie!  She wanted so badly to play with the big ones.  She did circles around the inside of the crate trying to figure out how she can get out to play!  (Maggie has been around big dogs lately… I think she’s starting to think she’s bigger than she really is!)  Tiana said next week she can roll with the big dogs - she’ll be so happy!  Speaking of next week, I am supposed to work and my husband is out of town so I will probably have to find someone else to take her.  No hooky for this puppy!
I gave Maggie her first bath this week.  She didn’t hate it, but she didn’t love it.  Afterwards, she went into her “psycho puppy” mode and was doing sprint circles around the house.  She didn’t realize when she’s wet she’s slippery so she slid EVERYWHERE!  It was rather entertaining to watch!!  Now whenever I turn the bath water on to take a shower she comes running towards it and tries to get in… maybe she did like it after all!?

All wet... pretty sure 3 of those 6lbs are fur and fluff!
Maggie continues to melt everyone’s hearts that she meets.  My Dad is not much of a dog lover and now he always asks if I brought “the puppy” over when I visit them.  He’s even held her!  My mom has always wanted a dog so we are hoping Maggie will finally break him of his “Puppy or Me” mentality!
A RARE sight.... my Dad holding a puppy
She also met my sister's dog, Macy, who is a teacup poodle.  I was curious and excited to see how they would interact.  Macy has only known my parent's house as "hers".  It went better than I expected.  Macy barked, Maggie wanted her to play.  Maggie kept going over to Macy to get her to play and Macy made it known she didn't want to play!  Maggie eventually learned to keep her distance.  Hopefully they will become best of friends!  My nieces just loved her!  Addy would wake up asking about her and go to bed talking about her.  So cute!

Addy and Maggie... BFF's.
We have a neighborhood girl that loves to come over and walk Maggie.  Maggie just adores her and gets so excited when she comes over!  It has been helpful for me too because then I can finish getting ready for work quick without having to worry where she is.
This past weekend I started working my 12-hour weekend shifts.  With about an hour commute each way, my 12-hour shift turns in to a 14-hour day by the time I get back home.  My husband had to go out of town this weekend, too, so that meant Maggie had a slumber party at Grandma and Grandpa’s!  I felt guilty making Maggie come back to bed with me when I got home at 8 in the morning.  Joe’s parents were awesome and made sure she was pooped out and ready for a nap!
Maggie has been sick these past few days.  She has been throwing up undigested food and bile.  When she threw up the bile I figured she was just hungry.  (She was also thrown off her eating schedule with me working 12-hour nights.)  After day 4 of throwing up, I finally called River Valley.  They put her on Iam’s low-residue wet puppy food.  This must be cat-nip for dogs!  Man, oh, man she jumps in circles when she sees me bring it out.  We’ve been feeding her a little bit every few hours.  So far, so good with no puking.  Some other girls at work and I were laughing about my puppy being on “bowel rest”!  I’ve been making sure she’s been getting enough water, too.  Her new favorite thing is to chase and lick ice cubes!
WHEW!  What a busy week Maggie has had!  Well, Maggie and I are off to go wake up “Daddy”!  How is it that men always get to sleep in!?  Hmm maybe we’ll have to change this…
Hugs and Kisses, Brit and Maggie

POOPED OUT after a busy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment