Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Parenting Battles

Well, Maggie ended up having to play "hooky" from puppy school this week.  I was super bummed she didn't make it.  I unfortunately had to work.  My awesome sister-in-law was able to help take her out half way through my shift but couldn't make it in time for school.  I'll have to look back in her puppy book to see what new tricks I can teach her... she's getting too good at sit and lay down! 

Her new favorite toy are ice cubes.  (I can't remember if I talked about this before...)  I think it's funny when you spend all of this money on toys for kids then you give them a simple cardboard box and they love it.  Same with Maggie - I spent all of this money on toys for her and all she wants is a darn ice cube!  Anytime I open the fridge she's instantly by my side waiting for a cube to drop.  Cheap entertainment!  It has also come in handy during these (unbearably) hot days!

I'm so happy that she is feeling better after puking for 4 days.  She couldn't get enough of that special food!  She's eating like a champ and scarfing down her bowls in no time... just like my husband!  (I've joked with my husband that I need to HIM one of those food pacers you put in the dog's food bowl.... He's a little food monster!)

The Portion Pacer ball! (obviously not Maggie!).  Joe needs one for his plate....

My biggest issue with her doesn't really revolve around her -- it's differences in parenting!!!! When my husband comes home, Maggie gets thrown off the routine her and I have during the week, including doing VERY well with potty training.  When my husband is home, it's nice to be able to run my errands and take my time at the gym without having to hurry back to let her out (and not feel guilty about leaving her in her kennel).  It's nice every once and awhile to be able to sleep in and not have to wake up at 6am (I don't even set an alarm clock anymore because I can always count on Maggie to wake up at that time!).  I sometimes feel like it would be easier to just always have responsibility of her.... but everyone needs a break now and again.

Joe thinks she needs to learn how to "roam responsibly" (yes, he really said that!).  My response is, "When we have kids are you going to let the baby learn to 'roam responsibly'!?" Oh lord I can see it now... The poor child will have pulled everything out of the refrigerator/cupboards and Maggie will be there eating it all up... Ah!!! Lord, help us!!!  He says she does fine and has no accidents.  Well, clearly he didn't go in the basement (which the gate was supposed to be up and it wasn't....).  There was a puddle of pee by the door (she tried to make it outside) and then I found she POOPED on a picture of Joe and I!  I got a chuckle out of it... but the humor didn't last long.  I don't want her to realize when she slips out of our sight and pees/poops somewhere that she won't get scolded.  It's frustrating to have to get her back in to a potty routine.  We'll get there... hopefully! :-)

We are going out of town this weekend and will be away from Mags for the first time.  I'm going to miss her like crazy but I know she'll have a fun time with "Auntie" Nicole (a good friend of mine is staying with her!).  She will also get her first haircut on Sunday.  We are bringing her back to her breeder's house to get trimmed up.  She does a great job with puppy cuts and I can't wait for her to see how big Maggie has gotten.  It will also be interesting to see if she remembers her Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment